Saturday, March 22, 2008

Hysteria in the Kitchen

Today was Adventures in the Kitchen. Or perhaps it would be more appropriately Hysteria in the Kitchen. I've been getting ready for tomorrow's big dinner, the special breakfast that I always make each holiday, and some treats too.

First I got tonight's dinner into the crockpot. That would make it much easier, or so I naively thought. Then I started to peel and chop up the squash in preparation for the baked squash casserole, for our big dinner for tomorrow. Again, I just know this will be a cinch. While that is boiling, I put on some Dulce de Leche on the stove, which although doesn't take long to prepare, it has to boil for a few hours. So I cook some sausage for the breakfast casserole, but luckily I got the pre-shredded cheese. That ought to make things easy too.

Let's just say, that's where things went horribly wrong. Every pot and bowl was dirty, stacked on the counter and in the sink. Not an inch of counter space left, I was moving one dirty pot to make room for yet another. With this space restriction in the sink, I ended up sloshing water all over the floor. Not once, not twice, but 3 times as the pot shifted in its tower of pots and bowls.

This is when I started to laugh; the whole situation was just so ridiculous, as I stood in the centre of a huge spreading lake in my sock feet.

And in only 2 hours, I finally had things back in order, counters wiped down, pots, pans and dishes washed. But if I may say so, my baked squash casserole is outstanding!

Contributed by Jamie Naessens

1 comment:

  1. Scary! But I am glad it worked out. Really!

    ReplyDelete