Tuesday, April 1, 2008

They Have Finally Come

It was warm today. But then it snowed tonight. I'm not too happy about that. But this is what I noticed on the weekend - the migrants have returned. I'm not talking about flocks of birds, although I have noticed the birds are returning too. But I'm talking about another kind of migrant.

Alhough we live in a 'bedroom community', this is also a traditional farming community, and the migrant workers have recently arrived. I suppose they come from all over, but the most notable are the Mexicans. They fly south with the Canada Geese when the big snows threaten, after the last harvest, and all the barns have been put to bed. But this past weekend, I saw many groups of them - walking in groups of 4, 5, and 6, all looking a little lost, and freezing to death.

I thought it was rather nice on the weekend, but I suppose if you are coming from the warmer climes, it could be considered a little chilly. They had their winter coats done right up, hoods drawn, hands jammed into their pockets, and probably wondering what tundra they landed in.

But things are looking up. The Mexicans are finally here.

Contributed by Jamie Naessens

No comments:

Post a Comment