Saturday, May 23, 2015

Looking back and looking forward

It's hard to believe that I have been blogging for 7 years. When I first started this blog, I didn't know anything about a Diabetes Online Community. I barely knew knew what a blog was. I just knew I created a space where I could write stuff, felt that I had something to say sometimes, and I had a bunch of furballs in my life, so this blog was born. 

It didn't have any particular direction at the time, and sometimes it still embodies that randomness. At first I told the stories of whatever came to my mind, but it was rooted in family, and especially all of our Furballs. Over time, it has evolved into what you see today.  

This is a very late entry for DBlogWeek, was supposed to be posted a week ago, but everyone who knows anything about me, I am always late, but I have good intentions.

Deviantart
This day's topic is to write about a favourite sentence or blogpost, which I struggled with because I put my heart and soul into each one. So how could I possibly choose just one? Yet this is my theme for today, so I will put on my thinking cap and do my best. 

Storytelling is an age-old art to share the human experience. In a post called, "That thing you are doing", I think I captured my thoughts on why I put everything out there the way I do. Writing helps me work through whatever is going on in my life. But when I share whatever it is, I hope that it somehow speaks to you in some way, and perhaps inspires you to one day share your own story, in your own way. Not only does this passage carry the core of why I share my stories, it also ends with a quote that I believe would make our world just a little bit better if we lived our lives with this as a guide.

Whatever it is, whatever brought you here, and however you get to where you are going, you will take away a new fresh perspective all your very own. And one day, you may find yourself sharing your own take on things with others - your partner, your extended family, or your best friend, over a cold lemonade and a package of Oreos. And maybe your sharing with them can expand their world just a little bit too as they go on their own life journey.  
And that makes you an advocate too. 
It doesn't take much. Just as Mahatma Gandhi said, "Be the change you wish to see in the world". 
From "That thing you are doing" (August 2014)

So that's my favourite post, at least at this moment. But I'm betting it's not necessarily yours. because it's the posts that speak to you that really matter - the ones that give your heart a lift, or perhaps give a shot of perspective into the mix. That's all I really want.

Looking back gives a view of where one has been, and tells a story of how one has arrived in the present. That's what this assignment was about, or at least what I was thinking. But what's important, is that I now choose to look at what might be in the future. And the future holds change.

I want that, and I want to be part of a Change, whatever that may be. 


1 comment: