Saturday, May 30, 2015

Diabetesopoly: The Reboot


I'm late. I'm late for a very important date.
No time to say hello goodbye
I'm late I'm late I'm late...
~ The White Rabbit (words by Bob Hilliard)

I've no excuses for such tardiness, but here I am, late again. A low blood sugar can be a good reason for being late, for example. But not this time. Not for my last post in the 6th DBlogWeek series

For this last topic, I've decided to take a wildcard because the 'official' topic tasks me with choosing a favourite blogpost posted during DBlogWeek. You may have heard this from me before, but I struggle because my favourite may not be yours. For you may think that the one I choose is superfluous (I've always wanted to use that word, so there you go). 

What's important is your journey of discovery to find a blog post that speaks to you. There are so many wonderful, insightful, and creative blogs out there that have been written by equally brilliant people. I invite you to check out each of the topic pages to discover them all for yourself.

The theme I have chosen is to Personify Diabetes. 

Backing up a bit, when I was cleaning out my desk last week to move to another office location, I found something that I worked on for DArtDay in February 2014. To be clear, I am not artistically inclined, not in the traditional sense. I once was tasked to draw an amoeba in grade 9. I was told under no uncertain terms that it did not look like an amoeba, and that I had to go back to the drawing board. (I personally think that was harsh, but it did help me prepare for living life with diabetes hah!)

So with this in mind, for that DArtDay project, I opened my trustworthy spreadsheet program and re-created everybody's favourite (not-so-favourite?) game - Diabetesopoly. Diabetes is rather like living a competitive game. 

DEFINITION of 'Monopoly' A situation in which a single company or group owns all or nearly all of the market for a given type of product or service. By definitionmonopoly is characterized by an absence of competition, which often results in high prices and inferior products.

Can we draw a comparison here? Sure we can. 

So I decided now would be a good time for a reboot to my first version which I featured in a post in February 2014. It's amazing how quickly some things have changed in that short period of time, especially in technology. With that in mind, the reboot - Diabetesopoly v2.0 - now features some new 'properties' and 'commodities' on the board. 


As you play the game, whether or not you live with it or love somebody who lives with it, you can see how living life with diabetes adds a whole layer of challenge to 'normal' people life. It also explains why I'm late for so many things. But late or not, this game is intense. 

Maybe for my next theme day, I'll take on the Game of Life (with Diabetes), or perhaps Snakes and Ladders. (Ha! I like that one)


No comments:

Post a Comment