Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dad's Lessons About Life & Other Cool Things

Of the many many things my Dad taught me, he taught me to appreciate things that are mysteries in life. He taught me that life isn't fair (right Dad?). But he also taught me that it does offer mysteries, paradoxes, ironies and conundrums. That's pretty cool.

Dad specifically requested that he didn't need anything for Father's Day, but what I do know is that he will appreciate this simple auditory illusion. It's called a Shepard tone.



Happy Father's Day, Dad.

Contributed by Jamie Naessens

2 comments:

  1. That is strange, Jamie. I "googled" it, and I still don't understand it. How can they call it an illusion when you actually hear it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The illusion is that with each play, it sounds like it starts with the next higher tone with each play. But the reality is that it is the same clip, with the exact same tone - or same properties of the tone that is being created. It is an auditory trick that your brain plays on you. The tones from one play to the next don't change.

    ReplyDelete